If you’re planning a bridal shower or bringing a dish to a bridal shower to share, our lighter recipes for refreshing drink, cool appetizers, sizzling entree selection and picture perfect dessert will make any bridal shower celebration special.
Sunny Orange Lemonade
Here’s a beverage, that is a sure hit. Filled with tangy goodness, it will quench the thirst any time of the year.
Total Time: Prep 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins + chilling | Makes 6-8 servings
4-1/4 cups water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
3/4 cup orange juice (about 3 oranges)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
Lemon slices, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/4 cups water and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes; cool.
- Transfer to a pitcher; add lemon and orange juices and peels. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in the remaining water. Serve over ice. Garnish with lemon if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Mint and lime zest bring the fresh flavor to these crisp sugar cookies. For the fun shower, decorate the cookies with bride and groom’s initials.
Total Time: Prep 40 mins + chilling |Bake 10 mins |Makes 48 servings
1 cup butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups icing sugar
6 tablespoons warm water
3 tablespoons meringue powder (use egg whites if meringue powder isn’t available)
Food coloring (your choice)
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk, mint, lime peel and extracts.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine the icing sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint as desired with food coloring. (Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.)
- Frost and decorate cookies as desired.
- Let the cookies dry at the room temperature for several hours or until firm. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Mini Fruit Pizzas
This colourful Mini Fruit Pizza is an instant winner, a perfect bridal shower dessert your friends aren’t going to stop talking about anytime soon.
Total Time: Prep: 45 mins + chilling | Makes 12 servings
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (optional)
3 level cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp grated orange rind
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. whipped cream
- Mix together powdered sugar, margarine, egg, vanilla extract, almond flavoring, all-purpose flour and baking soda to form a soft dough (do not over mix or dough will become tough.)
- Chill dough for several hours.
- Sprinkle flour on counter top. Roll out dough about ¼ inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out the rounds.
- Place cookies at least 1” apart on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350°F. Be careful not over bake. The cookies should not get brown – not even on the edges! Let cool completely.
- Once cool, spread the creamy spread onto cooled cookie and top with any kind of fresh fruit your guest love.
Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos
The rich and creamy combination of chicken, cream cheese, and cheddar nicely contrasts the muted spice of grilled jalapeño peppers.
Total Time: Prep: 30 mins + grilling | Makes 14 jalapeno halves
14 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, and seeded
2 cups chicken breast (marinated with salt, white pepper, crushed red pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, mustard powder/paste and oil)
1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened
1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1⁄4 cup finely chopped spring onion
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cook marinated chicken in a skillet over medium heat.
- Combine chicken, cheese, spring onion, lime juice, salt and garlic cloves in a bowl, stirring to combine.
- Divide cheese mixture evenly, and fill pepper halves.
- Place peppers cheese side up on grill, cover and grill peppers 8 minutes, or until bottoms of peppers are charred, and cheese mixture is lightly browned.
- Place peppers on serving platter.
- Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes, and fresh coriander leaves before serving.