After conquering hearts with her moving performances on the small screen, to becoming the most bankable female actress of current Pakistani cinema, to receiving rave reviews on her singing prowess, Mehwish isn’t taking it easy. The year 2019 looks really promising for the powerhouse performer!
Her Life & Family
The 5 feet 8 inches pretty model turned actress was born in 1983. Mehwish belongs to the family of performers. Her mother, Rukhsar Hayat, was a popular TV actress during the 80s. Her eldest brother Zeeshan is a singer-composer, while her sister is an accomplished singer who has released a music album in the past. Among the siblings, her brother Danish also has an acting bug, he has played supporting roles in many dramas. Mehwish shares fierce strong bond with her family, however, she is protective about divulging too much information about her personal life or relationship status.
Route to the Big Screen
Mehwish Hayat is hands down the queen of Pakistani entertainment industry. Known for her versatility, she made her presence felt when she moved her attention to the big screen. Being the lead cast in three of Pakistan’s highest grossing films of all time – Actor in Law, Na Maloom Afraad, Punjab Nahi Jaungi, has earned her the status of girl with the Midas touch. The brilliant actor aspires to play the role of first Muslim superheroine in the future.
Singing to my Heart Desires
Mehwish took to the internet by storm with her Coke Studio debut in Season 9, opposite singer, Shiraz Uppal. The love ballad, Tu Hi Tu with seamless pop ingredients and infectious melody laid foundation for her singing career. Three years down the time, the self-taught singer has done OSTs for various hit dramas and has got the chance to perform live during a concert in Arizona, USA. Currently, the actor is busy recording song for an upcoming web series.
Exploring the Uncharted Territory
The über talented Mehwish is seen working opposite actors, Azfar Rehman and Asad Siddiqui on Wajahat Rauf’s web series, Enaaya, streaming on Eros Now. The 12-episode series got its fair share of likings and controversies. Mehwish, played the role of a passionate singer with traumatized past since her parents shared a troubled relationship, the actress once again excelled her role. Second season of the series will be available soon.
The actress has walked the ramp for leading fashion designers and played muse for many big campaigns. On the social front, she is part of a youth movement to spread positive image of the country. She’s also a prominent part of the programme, Yeh Hum Naheen, a project that runs against terrorism in Pakistan.
Did you know?
- She was the face of LUX calendar for the year 2014, and the same year she became the WWF ambassador for Earth Day in Pakistan.
- Her dream role is to play Cleopatra and Anarkali from Mughal-e-Azam.
- The perfectly toned actress is a fitness freak and often spotted outside the gym or doing yoga.
- She loves twinning with her equally stunning mom.
- She was honoured with the Cinematic Icon Pakistan award at the re-launch event of Filmfare Middle East in Dubai.
- She recently shared Virsa stage at Haveli Barood Khana with Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and wowed the audience signing duet, Tu Mera Dil with the legendary singer.
- She is a strong proponent of women’s right and never shies away from expressing thoughts on harassment to women of any sort.
- The very stylish Mehwish is quite fond of sharing her casually – smart airport looks with her 1.9m followers on Instagram
- The Billi of Na Maloom Afraad, is a bigtime dog-lover in real life. She’s often seen making friends with the most ferocious to the cuddliest creatures.
- She won the Best Actress award for the movie, Actor in Law, at the first edition of Pakistan International Film Festival 2018 (PIFF).